Today’s modern life between all the hustle and bustle of new trends or fads, our Teenagers or Generation Z usually fail to prioritize their wellbeing. The cherry on the top is the pandemic which has brought various changes to our regular routine and isolation at home and absence of the active environment of an academic institute, giving birth to increased rate of anxiety, stress and depression. Teenagers today are facing challenges which were very rare and unusual 30-40 years back. So the question is how can we help and guide our teens?
Voilà! The solution to this problem is YOGA. Yoga is not only performing asanas, it is much more than that. Yoga is a simple and wholesome process which keeps our physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual wellbeing in shape.
So, in this blog I’ll be sharing with you about some common teenage problems and how a little bit about yoga for children in this technology centric lifestyle to bring happiness & peace.
Teenage World and Their Problems
Now, let’s take a quick glimpse into the Teenage world. Teenagers between 13 and 19 years of age go through a turbulent phase both internally and externally. They deal with hormonal changes, social changes, academic, competitive exam preparations and peer pressure and on and on which leads to various problems.
Most Common Problems for Today’s Teenagers are
- Anxiety and Depression: According to some researches 75% of our teenagers cope with various mental health problems unknowingly. Teenagers are more concerned about their physical appearances and as a result they ignore their mental health.
- Self Esteem: Children with early childhood trauma lack in confidence, they may feel victimized, feel lonely and isolated and also might have negative thoughts about themselves.
- Body Image: Body image issue can begin in teenagers in response to the changes in body during puberty. Individuals who are obese and dissatisfied with their physical appearance are prone to depression.
- Cyber Addiction: Today’s generation Z a.k.a. “Loneliest generation” in the race to follow new trends spend endless hours online and on smartphones inadvertently moving them away from human interaction and sending them into isolation with no real people to talk to or have conversations. They Crave for social acceptance.
- Bullying and Peer Pressure: Bullying and negative peer pressure can cause teens to suffer from low self esteem, anxiety and depression.
- Lack of Concentration: Physical and emotional changes, lack of sleep, a poor routine, excessive screen time or a family trauma can cause lack of concentration in teenagers. Unfocussed, confused teens are unable to find happiness and purpose in life.
YOGA – A Supreme Secret of Life
Yes, you read it right. Yoga is a magical and a supreme secret to a happy and peaceful life. It’s a remover of misery and destroyer of pain.
As they say “You cannot always control what goes on outside. But you can always control what goes on inside”.
Yoga is a path to a new world for today’s stressed out generation. Daily dose of yoga can impact and transform teenagers life in healthier way. They learn to cope with any challenge in life and build a healthy population.
Importance of Yoga in Teenagers
- Regular practice of yogic practices will help teenagers to live a Healthy lifestyle. It will improve their muscle strength, increase stamina, boost their immunity, improve their body physically and physiologically and reduces chances of childhood obesity.
- Meditation will improve their concentration and creativity level, it will sharpen their memory and will bring mental stability and calmness.
- Through the various breathing yogic practices and poses yoga help students feel in control of their body and mind.
- Yoga at an early age encourages self esteem and body awareness with a physical activity. It creates a better mind and body connection.
- When combined with mindfulness it increases patience, maintains calmness and improves work efficiency.
- Most important benefit of yoga is that it will help teenagers to get rid of depression, anxiety and mental stress.
- It will teach teenagers the techniques to lead a healthy, peaceful and contented living.
I am sharing all above mentioned benefits after experiencing them personally. When I was a teen I suffered from anxiety and work pressure but yoga did wonders for me. So, basically yoga is a whole package that comes with physical, mental and spiritual practices. It’s a way of living which keeps us in harmony and equanimity.
Now that you know the importance of yoga for children, here is an online workshop presented by Kaivalyadhama that will help you bring authentic yoga into practice for the wellness of your kids.
Click on the link to know more about this need-of-the-hour workshop & take a step towards holistic wellness with one of the leading yoga institutes in India – Kaivalyadhama