Philosophico-Literary Research Department
The Philosophico-Literary Research Department of Kaivalyadhama is engaged in performing fundamental researches with an unflagging zeal to realise the dream of its visionary founder, Swami Kuvalayananda.
- Manuscript and Literary Research in Yoga
- Ancient Indian Wisdom and Philosophy
- Yoga Across Tradition and Culture
- Science-Indian Wisdom Interface
- Science of Consciousness: Ancient and Modern
- Organizing Workshops
- Organizing Seminars, symposia etc.
- Visiting different Institutes /Universities as resource persons
- Participating in different seminars, Conferences etc.
- Publication of Brochure and popular books
Aims and objectives:
The primary aims and objectives of the department are as follows:
- To expand the horizons of knowledge leading to holistic wisdom.
- To undertake hardcore research in Yoga and allied fields of Philosophy, Science and Literature.
- Decipher the significant texts of Yogashashtra and allied areas written in
- Traditional languages like Sanskrit, Pali, Prakrit etcetera by the way of
- Translation, conceptualization, interpretation of various ideas and concepts.
- Restoring the ancient manuscripts and preserve them for the use in the Research.
- Study the beneficial effects of yogic practices and promote their awareness through publications.
- Scientifically analysing the philosophical concepts of Yogashashtra and apply them in diverse research areas.
- Apply the research output for the wellbeing of the humanity in general.
The department has established an academic collaboration with NRCVEE of IIT Delhi The departments has decided to jointly work together on two major projects:
- Digitisation of Yoga manuscripts available at Kaivalyadhama
- Scientific and Literary Study of the concept of Mind stuff
The Philosophicho-Literary Research Department is a part and parcel of its mother institution Kaivalyadhama. Kaivalyadhama is recognised by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
The institute has been recognized by the University of Pune, as a Research Centre from the year 1984. Looking at the research activities of the institute, University of Pune has granted permanent recognition from the year 2007.
It is also recognised as a SIRO ( Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation) by the DSIR, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India.
Furthermore the institute has MOU with S.N.D.T University in the areas of research and academic activities
Dr. Rajeshwar Mukherjee
Asst. Director – Research (HOD)
Prof. R. K. Bodhe
Dr. Raghavendra Bhat
Dr. Bandita Satapathy
Research Advisory Committee
The Advisory Board of PLRD comprises erudite scholars, profound exponents of diverse research areas and a nominee of the Government of India to look after the feasibility, propriety and relevance of the research proposals. The Advisory Board, however, looks after the overall quality control of the research activities of the department. The members of the Advisory Board are-
- Prof Ravindra Ambadas Muley
Professor, Centre for Advanced Studies in Sanskrit – Savitribhai Phule University Pune
- Prof Shripad Bhat
Professor, Department of Sanskrit &Indological Studies – Tilak Maharashtra Vidhyapeetha, Pune
- Dr. Bhagyalata Pataskar
Director, Vaidik Samshodhan Mandal, Pune
A Review Committee is formed every five year by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India to assess the quantum work performed. The review committee thoroughly assesses the fulfillment of the projects vis-à-vis their commitments recorded in the proposal. The committee also evaluates the quality of the work done and approves the project plan for next five years.
Brief History of the Department
Kaivalyadhama Yoga Research Institute was established on 7th October 1924 by Late Rev. Swami Kuvalayanandaji, who pioneered the thought that it is high time for science and spirituality to play their role together in establishing harmony in society. This can only be done if Yoga – an ancient science of India – is meaningfully and exhaustively made available to the modern world through its research. He tried to establish a synthesis between the two by bringing Yoga to the Laboratory and Laboratory in the field of meditation. Towards the fulfillment of this mission a three-pronged approach was adopted by Swamiji.
- The Scientific
- The Philosophico-Literary and
This three pronged approach towards Yogic Research, which was in vogue in Kaivalyadhama since its inception. During the course of Research experiences in subsequent years the Philosophico –Literary approach acquired full-fledged status of Research Department In 1944 named as Philosophico-Literary Research Department (P.L.R.D.) with the objectives as envisaged by the Founder Director, Rev. Swami Kuvalayanandaji.
The Philosophico-Literary Research Department (P.L.R.D.) is primarily concerned with the qualitative aspects of Yoga, which broadly has Ethical, Social, Philosophical, Therapeutical and Spiritual dimensions. To unfold and promote these dimensions, P.L.R.D. is continuing the legacy of Swami Kuvalayananda in following ways:
By way of unfolding the ancient yogic wisdom, which is embodied in Sanskrit language scattered in different scriptures or still hidden in manuscripts.
By way of critically editing of ancient yogic texts pertaining to the different concepts and practices and arriving at most authentic readings so that common people can apply this wisdom in their day to day life.
By way of Critical Interpretation, conceptualization, translation etc. of various concepts practices, their effects, ideas, values etc. with a view to promote yogic wisdom among the people.
By way of publishing Catalogues, Yoga Kosha and Concordances of Yogic Texts with a view to obtain comprehensive and analytical understanding of Yogic Knowledge.
By way of supplying information related to Yogic practices and other relevant material to Scientific Research Department of our Institute.
Recent Publications, Re-Printings and Articles
- Asana Swami Kuvalayananda.
- Pranayama- Swami Kuvalayananda.
- Yogic Therapy -Swami Kuvalayananda.
- Commentary by Dr. Karambelkar on Patanjal Yoga Sutra.
- Gheranda Samhita.
- Satkarma Samgraha
- Devayajan (Hindi)
- Hathapradipika (English, Hindi)
- Preparation of booklet for publication: Quintessence of Yoga.
- The Department during last year has worked on following books. The first one that is Asana has been published with several improvised illustrations that will make the text more sadhak friendly.
- Devayajan (hindi), GherandaSamhita, ShatkarmaSanghraha, Pranayama and Yog Therapy are ready for publication.
- AUM in Gayatri Mantra: Astrophysics Model of Universe : Prepared an Article as a Second Author and ready to Publish. (Dr Raghavendra Bhat )
- Paper on ” Impact of Sanskrit scriptures in English Literature with reference to Aurobindo’s work on Yoga” in the National Seminar CASS, Pune University on 15th to 17th Feb. 2018.(Dr Bandita Satpathy)
- World as the Animation of Ananda: A Scientific Exploration, Accepted by ICPR for presentation in ICPR seminar on ananda Mimamsa and publication in JICPR. ,(Dr Rajeshwar Mukherjee)
- Bhavamukha: A Unique dimension of Samadhi,(Dr Rajeshwar Mukherjee)
- Research Article on Shunya revised and modified for publication in the Springer book published by ICCR. ,(Dr Rajeshwar Mukherjee)
Kaivalyadhama Research Library
The Central Research Library also which is located in the building of the PLRD department. The work of PLRD is totally dependent upon the books in the library and the library is kept equipped with the new arrivals. The library also caters the need of the college students and maintains the issuing and returning of the books. Our Library is having a total of 30,116 books with around 1000 photocopies of Original Manuscripts on Yoga related subjects and 240 photocopies of Yoga Manuscripts. For upkeep of all these, a team of staff is engaged.
There are books on the subjects as Yoga, Philosophy, Religion, Ayurveda, Mysticism, Tantra, Medicine, Science, Sociology, Psychology, Linguistics, Physical Education, Literature (Marathi, English, Hindi) etc. Among these library has rare collection of Encyclopaedia on Philosophy, Religion and Ethics, Indian Philosophy, Hindi Shabdasagar and Bharatiya Sanskriti Kosha etc.
- The library provides Internet facility as well as Scanning, Xeroxing and Printing and facility to our readers on nominal charges.
- The Library provides the Facility of Cyber Café.
- Central Library is also being used by students of various courses conducted by Kaivalyadhama.
- Library Membership is open to University students, research scholars and other academicians across the globe.
- New arrival of 108 books and 64 CDs
- Installation of new software smart Lib for Book Reading.
- During 2017-2018 around 250 students from various courses conducted by Kaivalyadhama and institutions outside from Kaivalyadhama have availed of the facilities from the Library.
- Annual Subscription of25 Journals.
- Digitalization work of 1600 books (Yogic Books) has been completed. The facility of reading these books on online has been provided for research staff of the Institution.
Kaivalyadhama Central Library
Largest yoga library with over 30,000 titles, 1000+ manuscripts, audio DVDs and more.