Appreciation of Pātañjalayogasūtras
(Unlocking the Yogasūtras of Patañjali in a Simple Way)
Facilitator: Dr. Rajani Pradhan
Medium of Communication: English
Duration of Program: 3 series over 3 months
Series 1 – 6th(Friday), 7th(Saturday), 8th(Sunday) August 2021
Series 2 – 3rd(Friday), 4th(Saturday), 5th(Sunday) Sept 2021
Series 3 – 8th(Friday), 9th(Saturday), 10th(Sunday) Oct 2021
Timings: Each sessions times are 16:30 to 18:45 (IST) with 15 minutes pause
Medium: Online/ E-learning
स तु दीर्घकालनैरन्तर्यसत्कारासेवितो दृढभूमिः॥१४॥
Sa tu dīrghakālanairantaryasatkārāsevito dṛḍhabhūmiḥ||14||
And that (practice) (saḥ), when endowed (āsevitaḥ) with an uninterrupted (nairantarya) and true devotional attitude (satkāra) for a long (dīrgha) time (kāla), (has) certainly (tu) firm (dṛḍha) foundations (bhūmiḥ)||14||
This series of workshop ‘Appreciation of Pātañjalayogasūtras’ is a wonderful mix of wisdom and practice of ancient traditional knowledge of Yoga.
Yoga is a spiritual experience, which aims at removing the impurities of the mind (the Citta). Sage Patañjali, who was the first to codify Yoga, drew up eight steps -Yama, Niyama, Āsana, Prāṇāyāma, Pratyāhāra, Dhāraṇā, Dhyāna and Samādhi, a wholistic discipline for silencing the mind. These eight steps systematically wash away the impurities of the mind, making it progressively pure and clean. It begins with codes of conduct, social and personal, talks about having a fit body, conducive physiological functions, leading to the withdrawal of engagements in the world and worldly things and sense gratifications, leading to the single-pointedness of mind and ultimately absorption in the supreme reality. ‘Each Soul is potentially Divine…’ the purpose of Human Birth is a realization of that Supreme Reality.
- This 3 Series workshop of Kaivalyadhama is purported to help in initiation into reciting the Pātañjalayogasūtras as per the Śāstra, thereby leading to their understanding, with a view to make it simple and render the Śuddha-pāṭha (the correct text).
- This workshop has been designed uniquely keeping in mind today’s generation for the learning of original Saṃskṛta Sūtras.
- It will bring the participants close to the original Saṃskṛta Śāstra and help in making friends with it.
- This series of Workshop will simplify the Pātañjalayogadarśana and help in grasping the essence of the Pātañjalayogadarśana in totality.
- This 3 Series workshop ‘Appreciation of Pātañjalayogasūtra’ is organized by Kaivalyadhama – one of the oldest Yoga Institutes in the world aims for the unification of the body, mind, and spirit – as one system.
- This 3 – day series blends together theory, chanting, and practice.
- This workshop will be conducted by Dr. Rajani Pradhan, who has a deep understanding of the subject and has been teaching this subject for many years. The participants love her way of teachings which is clear, simple and with utmost care.
- The curriculum focuses on Chanting of selected Pātañjalayogasūtras, a basic understanding of Sthāna (place) of the sound production of the Devanāgarī Akṣaras (Letters), Knowledge and Practice of Saṃskṛta grammar in relation to the Pātañjalayogasūtras i.e. of ‘Kaṇṭhaḥ’ / Guttural sounds, ‘Tālu’ / Palatal sounds, ‘Mūrdhā’ / Retroflexes, ‘Dantaḥ’ / Dentals, ‘Oṣṭhaḥ’ / Labials, Kaṇṭhatālu / Guttural Palatal sounds, Kaṇṭhoṣṭham/ Guttural – Labial sounds, Dantoṣṭham / Dental – Labial sounds etc.
- A Basic understanding of selected Pātañjalayogasūtras.
- Basic Saṃskṛta Grammar which helps to understand the Pātañjalayogasūtras.
- Understanding of the selected concept of Pātañjalayogadarśana (e.g., Citta, Citta – Prasādana, Īśvara, Īśvarapraṇidhāna, the three Adhikārīs – Uttama, Madhyama and Adhama or the Manda Adhikārīs and the Yoga – Sādhanās for them in the Pātañjalayogadarśana, etc.
- Basic understanding of the Aṣṭāṅga – Yoga: Yama, Niyama, Āsana, Prāṇāyāma, Pratyāhāra, Dhāraṇā, Dhyāna and Samādhi, a wholistic discipline for silencing the mind.
About the Facilitator:
Dr. Rajani Pradhan, is Asst. Prof. at G. S. College of Yoga and Cultural Synthesis, Kaivalyadhama. She is a sincere student of Yoga, Vedanta and Saṃskṛta. She has completed her MA in Yogaśāstra; and she has done her Doctorate in Yogaśāstra from Kavi Kulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University Ramtek, Nagpur. She is a passionate teacher, and has been teaching Yogaśāstra at various institutes including Swami Vivekananda Yoga Kendra, Navi Mumbai, affiliated to SVYASA Bangaluru; K.J. Somaiya Centre for Buddhist Studies, University of Mumbai; Bharatiya Sanskriti Peetham, K. J. Somaiya; Chinmaya Naada Bindu Gurukula (Chinmaya University) etc.
She is studying Vedānta under the guidance of Swami Advayananda, Chinmaya International Foundation, Velianad, Kerala; learning Saṃskṛta from Dr. Pushpa Deekshit and Indian Ancient Music, Dhrupad with Ustad Shree Bahauddin Dagar. She gives her best in whatever she does. She has been trying to spread the knowledge of Yoga with her enthusiastic efforts.
- Recordings for each series will be available for 1 month. Please note that in any circumstances the recording viewing duration will not be changed, so kindly view the recording as per the given time frame.
- Please be mindful that recording/s are being shared in good faith to support you in your practices or study.
- Kindly honor its intellectual property rights by not downloading it on your device or forwarding it to any other person.
Certificate of Participation
- A certification of participation will be provided for this series of workshop.
- Please register with the name you would like to have on the certificate.
- Kindly note that requests for change of name will not be entertained after the certificate has been issued.
Zoom app downloaded on your tab, smartphone or PC / Laptop with internet connection.
Date and Timings
Series 1 – 6th, 7th, 8th August 2021
Series 2 – 3rd, 4th, 5th Sept 2021
Series 3 – 8th, 9th, 10th Oct 2021
Time – 16:30 to 18:45 (IST)
No refund policy
Please pay and book your spot through the link above. We will send you email instructions with credentials post registration.
Query for this workshop? Please email us – firstname.lastname@example.org
I would like to thank again Dr. Rajani and the team Kaivalyadhama who provided this wonderful journey to me. Dr. Rajani's beautiful chanting and her occasional sharing of her own experiences encouraged us all and motivated to continue the practice. For last 4 months I have been looking forward to joining the class. I would like to continue the chanting practice every day, making it a part of my daily Yoga practice, not regarding it as something special anymore.
Thank you again for imparting such a wonderful course 'CHANTING OF PATANJAL YOGA SUTRA'. It has been a fantastic journey with Kaivalyadham through this exclusive course. After the completion of all four chapters of PYS here I am sharing with you what I have experienced or what I feel about this course - It was a very well planned and organized online course as it was divided in two parts the grammar part and the chanting part. This grammatical portion helps a lot in learning and chanting of sutras; One of the good aspect of this course is...it increases the energy level. At last once again I thank all Kaivalyadham Team for their great great efforts to nourish us with the HOLY CHANTS OF PATANJAL YOGA SUTRAS.
I would like to thank Kaivalyadham and Rajani Maam for making this wonderful opportunity to learn how to chant Patanjali Yoga Sutra. When I started this course, I could not read Devanagari at all. During the course, I practiced reading and writing besides chanting and tried to read the sutras in Devanagari slowly, once I get used to chanting. It still takes time to read but it became a good practice to read Devanagari.
My heartily congratulations and praises for bringing this precious course to us. Personally this course has brought a lot of insight and understanding of the structure and the flow of the text to me, which now I know is of immense importance for whoever wants to study PYS. When. This course is giving me so much and will surely do it again. The whole team has done a flawless job. I will be ever grateful to Pradhan ma’am for her clarity, kindness and patience and the preparation with which she teaches and to the whole online workshop team for creating all the materials and making this course possible in this flawless manner.
The teacher Rajani Ma'am always ensured to make us feel like a real classroom and never once I had a feeling that we are online or far away. She always answered very patiently to each and every question from every single participants, this made me adore her even more. The technical team that organized this Program was so attentive and responsive to each and every message. The whole program was beautifully organized. I am extremely grateful to everyone at Kaivalyadhama for this course. Special Thanks to Rajani Ma'am and the Technical team who were marvelous.