PATANJALI YOGA SUTRAS
BY DR. N. GANESH RAO
3rd - 10th May 2020
About the workshop
This intensive workshop on Patanjali Yoga Sutras will enrich the understanding and practice of Yoga for all students and teachers of Yoga. It is relevant for all those enthusiasts who are interested in understanding the human mind, its functioning, control and transcendence. Clear understanding of PYS adds quality and sheer joy to life.
All the four chapters of Patanjali Yoga Sutras will be covered.
It is common knowledge that there is an air of mysticism and mysteriousness bordering on to incomprehensibility attached to the understanding of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras (PYS). This situation arises because the Sutras are in Sanskrit and not all understand Sanskrit. It is further complicated due to the prevalence of so many interpretations, which differ from each other substantially, that one is not sure which interpretation to take up for reading. Thus, despite sincere interest and enthusiasm one is at a loss as regards understanding the PYS.
Topics to be covered
1. Preparation for Understanding PYS:
- Shad Darsanas (Orthodox Indian Philosophy) in brief
- Samkhya Darsana, the Metaphysical Foundation of Yoga.
- Place of PYS in the Traditions of Yoga.
- The Uniqueness of “Sutra” as a Genre of Literature.
- Patanjali and Patanjal Yoga Sutras (an Over-view)
2. The Ashtanga Yoga of Patanjali vis-a-vis Hatha Yoga
3. The Ashtangas Explored and Exploded (in depth)
4. Definition of Yoga
5. The Theories of Vrittis, Klesas & Antarayas.
6. The Concept of Isvara, Isvara Pranidhan and Pranava (AUM).
7. Spirituality v/s Religion; ‘Yoga is the Grammar of all Spiritualities’.
8. Law of Karma & Yogic Handling of the Mischief-Maker Samskara.
9. Kriya Yoga of Patanjali
10. Mind Control Techniques in PYS
11. Therapy in PYS
12. Siddhis and Vibhutis
13. Meditation in PYS (incl. Samadhi and Samapatti)
14. Philosophical Insights in 4th Pada (Kaivalya Pada)
15. The Logic and Architecture of PYS.
In addition to the above topics, the workshop will provide an opportunity for participants to practice every day Asanas, Pranayama and Meditation in the Classical / traditional manner.
There will be daily group chanting of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras.
Further, open Discussion / Question – Answer session will be held daily to clarify doubts, strengthen understanding and ascertain applicability of PYS in daily life.
All these will be spaced out with proper rest and relaxation and the blissful experience of Yoga Nidra.
Dr. N. Ganesh Rao
Dr. N. Ganesh Rao is a highly acclaimed and inspiring name in the field of Yoga in India having conducted till date more than 18000 sessions in Yoga covering all its aspects, theoretical and practical. He has to his credit a Doctorate in Philosophy and is a Professor and Ph. D. Guide in Yoga and Philosophy. There may not be a better example of philosophy serving practice in day to day life. His other qualifications include Master of Commerce, Master of Arts, Diploma in Management Studies, Diploma in Naturopathy, Diploma in Yoga Education, Madhyama Yoga Siksha Certificate and Specialist Instructor in First Aid and Home Nursing.
Workshop Teaching Fees – Rs. 12,000/-
Our rooms in campus are fully booked. Participants willing to join are requested to arrange their own accommodation. Meals would be served at the ashram for Rs. 3500/- total (3 meals + herbal tea everyday)
Hotels within walking distance for accommodation:
- Hotel City Palace – (+91) 9623150220
- Hotel Kadamb Sahyadri – (+91) 9765409212
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Workshop Teaching fees – NO REFUND (Transferrable to another workshop within six months)
Accommodation and meals (in-campus registrations):
- Cancellation application before 7 days – refund of 75% of the amount paid.
- Cancellation application less than 7 days – no refund.
- Please email cancellation requests to firstname.lastname@example.org. Verbal cancellation requests are not accepted.